Family Studies (B.S.) Teacher Certification
Degree: Bachelor of Science
Major: Family Studies
Concentration: Teacher Certification
Total Hours: 120
Dr. Jill Killough, (409) 880-8663, 120 Nutrition, Hospitality and Human Services Bldg, firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Educational Objectives
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary for entry-level teaching in the Family and Consumer Sciences concentration.
- Demonstrate content knowledge in Family and Consumer Sciences.
- Apply knowledge of problem-solving, creativity & critical thinking, and communication skills within the teaching profession.
Program Student Outcomes
Upon program completion, graduates will be able to:
- Utilize and apply critical thinking skills
- Demonstrate effective written communication utilizing professional, reflective, and research-based styles
- Demonstrate effective professional oral communication and presentation skills
The Bachelor of Science in Family Studies- Family & Consumer Sciences teacher certification program provides professional training for careers requiring technical knowledge of family and consumer sciences, as well as expertise in instructional methods.
Students must meet admission and certification requirements of the Lamar University Teacher Education Program. Several courses in the FCS Teacher Certification degree plan are taught through the Texas Family and Consumer Sciences Distance Education Alliance. The Alliance is a statewide network of Texas universities offering online courses to maximize educational resources through inter-institutional collaboration. During academic advising, students are made aware of Alliance course offerings.
Requirements of the Lamar University Teacher Education Program- Students that are Secondary Education and all level programs, the following applies:
- Completion of an admission application
- Successful completion of 45 semester hours, including PEDG 2310 Introduction to Teacher Education
- Successful completion of PEDG 2310 Introduction to Teacher Education with a grade of "C" or better
- A minimum GPA overall and in the certificate field of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) with no grade lower than "C" in the certificate field(s)
- Successful completion of all sections of approved basic skills test or meet exceptions of the TSI assessment or an acceptable alternative test
- Approval following a criminal history review
- Filing a signed copy of the program's Professionalism Agreement
- Filing a signed copy of the Code of Ethics and Fitness to Teach Professionalism Policy
- Payment of a one-time non-refundable application fee of $75.00
Before applying to the teacher education program, a student must earn the credit hours for the subject they would like to teach.