Department of Educational Leadership
Location: 206 Education Building
Phone: (409) 880-8024
Chair: Dr. Tom Harvey
The Department of Educational Leadership offers a variety of graduate certificates and degrees that prepare students for leadership roles in various areas of the educational system. Programs in this department at the master's level prepare students for roles as principals and educational technology specialists; other certifications and programs prepare superintendents and educational researchers at the doctoral level. Master of Education degrees are offered online in an accelerated format with students taking one, five-week course at a time.
University Degree Requirements
Students who hold a master’s degree and teacher certification and seek an additional certification offered by this department should apply to the Educational Leadership Department for admission to the appropriate certification program. Those admitted to “Certification Only” are expected to have equivalent and recent course work for substitutions to be made for required courses.
Masters and Certification Programs
- Online Application & Fee: University requirements will be assessed by the online application through ApplyTexas.org. There is a one-time application fee of $25.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended1
- Undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher. Applicants with a GPA below 2.5 in the institutional bachelor's degree will not be admitted.
Waivers of any experience or certification requirements will be initiated by Lamar University Admissions staff as necessary in instances where they may not apply, such as applications from states that do not require certification for licensure.
Send all required documents to:
Lamar University Online Admissions
PO Box 10017
Beaumont, TX 77710
Submit electronically to email@example.com
All applicants must submit official, sealed transcripts from each institution attended to the Admissions Office. All degrees must be from a regionally accredited institution. Lamar University Office of Admissions will no longer require community college transcripts for graduate applicants. Official transcripts from all other institutions will be required. However, if a department or program wishes to review a community college transcript for decision purposes, the department or program may directly request the applicant to submit the official community college transcript(s) to the Office of Admissions for processing.
For students considering an academic program that leads to professional licensure in a state outside of Texas, such as Educational Diagnostician, Principal Certificate or Superintendent Certificate, please contact applicable licensure board(s) in any state you may want to pursue licensure prior to beginning the academic program in order to determine whether the program meets licensure requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm program eligibility for licensure in any state outside of Texas
- Apply for admission to the university via ApplyTexas.org and pay a one-time application fee of $25. Applications must meet all university admission requirements prior to being considered for admission to a graduate program.
- Submit original, official, sealed transcripts from all institutions attended, including master's degree and undergraduate degree. The admissions office will not accept photocopied or faxed copies, nor transcripts marked "Issued to Student." All degrees must be from an accredited university in an area related to the proposed studies. Minimum GPA 3.5 on a 4.0 scale required for courses applied toward a master's degree.
- Currently, the GRE requirement is waived for this program.
- Send transcripts to:
Lamar University Graduate Admissions
P.O. Box 11614
Beaumont, TX 77710
or send electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will not be admitted to the Lamar University Graduate School until all transcripts have been received.
M.Ed. in Education Administration, M.Ed. Educational Technology and 18-hour Principal Certification Preparation Program
Educational Leadership requires the following for admission to the department program for the M.Ed. in Education Administration, M.Ed. in Educational Technology and Principal Preparation Certification Preparation Program.
- Valid teaching certificate1
- Two years teaching experience
- Able to conduct practicum activities on a TEA accredited public or private school campus.2 To determine if your school is TEA accredited, please use the following links:
- Public School
- Private School
- Personal Essay
- Reference from your Principal
Please note that out of state students may not be required to meet these criteria
Not applicable to out of state students unless taking the TExES Principal Exam
Out of state students should check with their state department of education to determine if there are specific state requirements needed.
The master’s degree in educational administration requires the successful completion of a 30-semester-hour program of study. Principal certification is part of the Educational Administration program.
Principal Certification Preparation Program - Online Only
Students already holding a master's degree from an accredited university may enter the "Certification Only" program for Principal Certification by making an application in the Graduate College as a post-master’s student and office of the Department of Education Leadership and providing an official transcript of all applicable graduate work. Once admitted, students will be assigned an advisor who will develop a certification plan, which depending on the age of course work, will require a minimum of 18 hours with additional hours required as appropriate.
To receive the principal certificate, a student must complete all course requirements, hold a valid Texas Teacher certificate, have two years of classroom teaching experience, and pass the TExES examination. To apply for the certificate, go to www.lu.texes.com
- Applied Digital Learning (M.Ed.)
- Certified Digital Educator Certificate
- Educational Administration (M.Ed.)
- Educational Leadership (Ed.D.) Educational Technology Innovation
- Educational Leadership (Ed.D.) Global Educational Leadership
- Educational Technology Leadership (M.Ed.)
- Principal Certification Preparation Program
- Professional Superintendent Certification
- Program Certificate in Educational Diagnostician
- Special Education Diagnostician (M.Ed.)
- Special Education Generalist (M.Ed.)
- Teacher Leadership (M.Ed.)