Special Education Diagnostician (M.Ed.)

Special Education Diagnostician (M.Ed.)

Degree: Master of Education

Major: Special Education

Concentration: Educational Diagnostician Certification

Total Hours: 36

Students seeking certification as an Educational Diagnostician who are enrolled in either the M.Ed. Special Education-Educational Diagnostician or Certification as Educational Diagnostician program, will need to make arrangements with respect to access to test kits for the following assessment instruments (Woodcock Johnson- Achievement, Woodcock Johnson-Cognitive, WISC) and retain a certified Educational Diagnostician from a TEA-accredited district who will supervise their use of such instruments. Lamar University, the College of Education and Human Development, and the Special Education program do not provide such test kits or make arrangements for site mentors.

  • Hold a baccalaureate degree for an accredited institution of higher education that was accredited at the time recognized by the Texas Higher Education coordinating board
  • Hold a valid teaching certificate
  • Have 3 years of teaching experience
  • In order to obtain Texas certification as an Educational Diagnostician, you must complete your field experience on a TEA approved public or private school campus where you will obtain the required practicum hours for certification under a certified educational diagnostician with at least three years of experience. (To determine whether your school is TEA approved, please use the following links: Public School  Private School)
  • Reference from your Principal

Instructions for submitting the department admission requirements will be emailed to each applicant after the ApplyTexas.org application is received and processed.

*Please note that out-of-state or out-of-country candidates cannot receive a Texas certification as an Educational Diagnostician.

For out-of-state candidates, it is your responsibility to contact the appropriate licensing board in your home state before beginning this program. You should confirm with the licensing agency that this program meets the requirements for licensure in your state.