Graduate Certificate in Professional Accounting
Major: Professional Accounting
Total Hours: 15
The Graduate Certificate in Professional Accounting (GCPA) is a 15-hour non-degree seeking program that provides advanced accounting coursework. The GCPA is primarily designed for candidates who intend to pursue CPA certification and need to obtain additional credits in accounting. It also seeks to serve accounting professionals who seek to update and expand their accounting knowledge and skills through graduate-level coursework
The certificate program requires the completion of five graduate courses (15 credits). Both full-time and part-time students may obtain the certificate. Applications are accepted throughout the year and students are admitted in Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. The length of the program will vary depending on how many courses the student completes in any given semester.
Graduate Certificate Admission Requirements
All applications to the GCPA will be reviewed on the basis of the profile material required and submitted for admission consideration. The requirements outlined below represent the minimum criteria that applicants must meet to be considered for admission into the GCPA. Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee an applicant’s admittance into the program.
The admission requirements for the GCPA are as follows:
- Current Lamar University undergraduate accounting students will be considered for admission provided they have maintained a minimum overall 2.5 GPA and a minimum 2.0 accounting GPA including the following courses: ACCT 2301 Introduction to Financial Accounting, ACCT 3310 Intermediate Accounting I, and ACCT 3320 Intermediate Accounting II. Students may apply while enrolled in ACCT 3320 Intermediate Accounting II, but admission decisions will not be made until that course is completed with a minimum grade of C. The GMAT is not required for admission.
- Students who hold a BBA in Accounting from Lamar University will be considered for admission provided they have maintained a minimum overall 2.5 GPA and a minimum 2.0 accounting GPA. The GMAT is not required for admission.
- Students from institutions other than Lamar University must have completed an undergraduate business degree with an accounting major from a domestic (U.S.) accredited university with a 2.5 overall GPA and a 2.5 accounting GPA. The GMAT is not required for admission.
- Admission to the GCPA does not guarantee admission into the MS/PA program. However, upon successful completion of the GCPA, a student may apply for admission to the MS/PA program and the certificate courses taken will be applied towards M.S.A. degree requirements.
Certificate Program Completion Requirements
In order to obtain the GCPA, students must meet all of the following requirements:
- Complete all certificate course requirements (15 hours).
- Earn a minimum letter grade of ‘‘C’’ in each certificate course on their first attempt.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 in the five certificate courses.
Students who fail to meet the program completion requirements will not be awarded the certificate
How to Apply?
Applicants who are currently enrolled as accounting majors at Lamar University. Please fill out the application available in the School of Accounting & Information Systems.
Applicants who obtained an undergraduate degree in Business Administration with an accounting major at Lamar University. Please apply at www.goapplytexas.org
Applicants who obtained an undergraduate degree in Business Administration with an accounting major at a domestic (U.S.) accredited university. Please apply at www.goapplytexas.org